Friday, November 7, 2014

women work harder

Hey,

I hate generalizations. Especially about people because it feels like an inhalation of the individual. So, I'll say this at the start, many men work very hard. Most days I think I do. However, I want to share what I have noticed during my last two directing jobs. It was subtle. No one pointed it out. And this by no means is a scientific study. I noticed that the women in the casts were all off book before the men. No matter the size of the role. The women learned their lines sooner.

I am currently working at a University. I'm directing a play with nine cast members. Five men. Four women. (yes, less roles for women.) We are half way through our rehearsal process. I realized the other day that only one guy, who is in only two of the nine scenes, was not carrying his script. The four other men in the play were still carrying their scripts. None of the women had scripts in their hands. Each of the cast members were all in the same theater department. They were all getting the same training. What's the difference?

When I pointed this out to the students, the assistant stage manager said she was well aware that she had to work harder because she's a woman. She realized that she was going to have to work harder when she was eight or nine years old because there were less opportunities for girls.

Oh, and there are four stage managers supporting this production. They are all women.

There has been a lot of awareness lately brought to the issue that female playwrights are not produced equally to male playwrights. You don't need a study to see this, you just need to look at what your local theater is producing and you'll most likely be able to recognize the disparity. If you are looking for it. Until the last couple of years I wasn't looking for it.

I can't exactly put my finger on what changed. I know that there was a study a few years back about this issue that proved it as a fact. A fact that I didn't care to accept. My feelings as a theater director and writer were that it is a hard profession for all of us. And it is. However, it is harder for women. I know that I witnessed a theater company I am a member of reject a play, by a female writer, I submitted to work on at our annual retreat. The reason for the rejection was valid. I didn't question it. However, I later learned that the only plays by non-members that were accepted were all from men.   Another thing that could've made this issue grounded in my awareness is my girlfriend's corporate job. She is a V.P. of a global corporation. She works with what would be considered a small team of 'equals'.  She is the only female on the team. She is paid less and she is the one that is asked to do anything that would be considered administrative.

Oh, and while I am directing on the MainStage of the university there is a student production in rehearsal. The director of that production is male. I was told that he didn't take a directing class. He didn't assist anyone. He hasn't stage managed a production. He decided he wanted to direct and was given the opportunity. I imagine a female student would be able to do the same.  If ...

Talk with you soon.

Padraic





No comments:

Post a Comment